Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Digital vs. Film

I remember when digital cameras made their debue. But, I was well entrenched in film and all the nuiances of working with film. I had just spent $150k plus on new equipment and was working day & night to make ends meet. ALWAYS more month left at the end of the money! And when I thought I had 'em all satisfied, here would come another tax or something I hadn't counted on. Oh the joy of being a business owner!

I realistically thought I would have 3-5 years to change the way I did business before things would change. But change always comes whether good or bad. People quickly accepted digital (much to the astonishment of Kodak-Remember the APS camera-still a few around) The initial quality and ease of use was lacking but things improved quickly and digital has been embraced by this entrepreneur picture taker.

Things are pretty good now as long as I have my day job. I see no way a small mom and pop type business can make it today unless they have a highly sought after product or service that people are willing to purchase.

If you haven't gone digital yet, What are you waiting for!? Just jump in with both feet. It's only money! Buy the best digital camera you can afford. If you are a vacation/snapshot kinda person, just get a digital point and shoot. Buy a brand name such as Sony, Canon or Nikon, anything over 3 megapixels. That should give you decent photos. If you are a picky person like my friend (who was told he is picky just a couple days ago by a person that didn't know him) then you are doomed. You never wanna buy because you think the price will go down after you purchase or the technology will be so much better with the next model. Just jump in and make memories!!

The Patient Photographer

No comments:

Post a Comment